Monday, August 11, 2014

Tip of the Week: Treasure Hunting*


When you are shopping, make it a habit to scan the shelves for rock bottom clearance items.  These are usually slashed in price just because the store has decided not to carry the product anymore OR because it is approaching its expiration date.  For example, last week I was shopping in the frozen foods aisle at Maceys and happened to notice that boxes of Farm Rich Jalapeno Appetizer Bites had been marked down to .49 a box!  I think the regular price was close to $3.00/box.  Now this isn’t an item I would normally buy, but at that price I can grab a few and let my teenage son throw some in the oven for an after school snack or even add them to my holiday party fare, as they don’t even expire until the end of December. Another day I noticed that 2-liter bottles of soda were absolutely free with the coupons they had hung around the necks of each bottle, on a display that no one paid attention to as they selected full-priced bottles nearby.  So always keep your beady little eyes peeled for great finds to stretch your food buying power!

*Originally distributed November 2013

No comments :

Post a Comment