Monday, August 11, 2014

Recipe: Creamed Tuna on Toast*

Maceys is finishing up their case lot sale this week, so if your food storage is looking a bit depleted, you may want to take inventory, then check the long list of case goods brought in for this yearly sale.  I did my shopping last week on Friday morning early, hoping to take advantage of those great prices on Friday and Saturday ONLY items (I had waited until Saturday night to shop the week before, and the things I wanted were gone— I should have taken seriously the “while supplies last” note).  Anyway, I’d never seen Maceys such a madhouse that time in the morning.  It was before 9 a.m., and I had to fight to navigate my cart down the aisles.  It was worth it though, because I did get my 24 count case of canned milk for only $12.00 (featured in this week’s recipe) plus powdered and brown sugar for $.88 per 2 lb bag, both awesome deals.


Speaking of food storage, this morning I woke up thinking of an old family favorite, “Creamed Tuna on Toast.”  It seems strange that I raised the pickiest children in the universe, yet for some reason this was something they always loved.  You can think about it at 5:30 pm and have it on the table by 6:00, using only a few common ingredients.  So even though someone with extra time on their hands may rather hear about how great my Chicken Marsala turned out last week (which I will share at a later date), I thought a few harried moms out there may appreciate instructions for a quick and nourishing family dinner this week instead.
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup (or more if needed) regular milk
1 can drained tuna fish
½ bag Western Family frozen petite peas
½ teas. salt and ¼ teas. pepper (or to taste)
Buttered (or unbuttered) toast

1.  Melt the margarine in a skillet.

2.  Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.

3.  Add the milk slowly, whisking constantly to prevent clumping and stir until smooth, simmering to thicken.

It should be the consistency of a gravy or sauce—add more milk if it’s too thick. 

4.  Add the drained tuna, peas, salt and pepper and continue heating a couple of minutes until the peas are just cooked.

5.  Make toast, buttering it if desired.

6.  Cut toast in half diagonally and spoon tuna mixture over.


Serves 4.

*Originally distributed October 2013

No comments :

Post a Comment