Monday, August 11, 2014

Recipe: Marinated Tomatoes*

I think my favorite part of summer is the vegetables. Even if you don’t have a garden (or a neighbor who does), it seems like fresh produce is everywhere.  Corn on the cob is at every grocery store and local farmer’s markets offer a variety of summer bounty for your table. 

But what I wait for all summer is tomatoes!  I have lots of plans for them when they start ripening (along with the 80 quarts or so that I usually can).  Besides the dozens of tomato sandwiches we consume, I like to make scalloped tomatoes (an old family recipe involving tomatoes, onions, and cracker crumbs) as well as my delicious Marinated Tomatoes, for which I have been tenderly caring for a nice big basil plant all summer.  I hope it continues to produce in abundance throughout tomato season, because I want to make this delicious dish often.


You'll need:
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
  • 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh basil  
  • 4 to 6 large tomatoes, cut into slices
  • 4 sliced cucumbers, peeled (optional)
  • 1 large white onion, sliced into rings
Directions:
In a small bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and mustard. Whisk in vinegar and oil until well mixed. Stir in basil. In a shallow serving dish, layer half of the tomato, onion, and cucumber slices. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or so before serving. 

*Originally distributed August 2013

No comments :

Post a Comment