Saturday, August 16, 2014

Tip of the Week: Free and Better-Than-Free Grocery Deals*



For my tip this week, I wanted to encourage everyone to take advantage of store offers and coupons which not only help you save lots of money, but sometimes even pay you to take groceries home for free.  Case in point:  Last Saturday I went to Smith’s  with four $1.00 off cereal coupons I had printed off the Kellogg’s website.  As you know, last week Smith’s had a deal where for every three boxes of cereal you bought, you got a free gallon of milk.  In addition, Kelloggs was offering a promotion where the cash register prints out a $3.00 refund for every 4 boxes of cereal you purchase.  So I picked out my four boxes of cereal (which were already on sale for $1.67 a box), then I got $1.00 off each box with my coupons, which made them $.67 a box.  Then I got my free gallon of milk.  To top it off, the cash register printed me off a $3.00 check to use towards anything on my next shopping trip (which I turned around and used right then to buy cabbage and carrots for my St. Patrick’s Day dinner).  So to sum things up, I got 4 boxes of Kellogg’s cereal and a gallon of milk for free, plus Smith’s paid me 32 cents just to take it all away.


*Originally distributed March 2014

No comments :

Post a Comment