Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Recipe - Carne Asada

Have you ever heard of Flat Iron Steak?  I hadn't until a few months ago when I happened across a package in the close-dated section of the meat department at Smith's.  I took it home and froze it, thinking it looked like the right ingredient for trying one of my favorite dishes, Carne Asada, which I had ordered before at Mexican restaurants but never attempted at home. In Mexico and Latin America, Carne Asada (literally, grilled meat) refers to a thin slice of seasoned beef, seared to impart a charred flavor, then used as an ingredient in Mexican dishes.  Turns out that Flat Iron Steak does make perfect Carne Asada.  Flavorful and tender, it's a perfect summertime meal that I promise everyone will love!
After researching the best preparation method for this traditional favorite, I tried it out for dinner last night, topped with fresh Pico de Gallo, Guacomole, and Cilantro.  To round out the meal I made my homemade Mexican Rice.  We ate late out on the deck as it was starting to cool off, and the Carne Asada turned out even better than I had hoped for.  It was just plain delicious!  I hope you and your family enjoy it as well.  See instructions at the end of the post.


Carne Asada
2 lbs Flat Iron Steak (to serve 4)
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
4 large Garlic Cloves, minced
1 bunch Green Onions, washed, peeled, and trimmed (optional) 

-Mix all ingredients (except the steak and onions) into a paste.  


-Rub this into the steak, coating front and back sides evenly.





-Grill to desired doneness. The onions will just take a short time--not nearly as long as the meat.  Remove them when ready.  I overcooked mine and they dried up.  Next time I'll do better.

The steak can be medium rare to well done, suiting your preference.  We cooked ours to a temperature of 140 degrees and it was perfect. If you don't have a quick-read thermometer, you may need to cut the steak in half to check for doneness.  Remember that the temperature will continue to raise a bit after it's removed from the grill, so don't overcook.  Let stand five minutes before slicing.
Slice across the grain for greater tenderness. 

Serve on fresh, warm flour tortillas, topped with Pico de Gallo (fresh salsa), Guacamole, and Cilantro. (Also the grilled green onions if desired).  Enjoy!

I make my fresh pico de gallo with chopped seeded tomatoes, white onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper.  The guacamole is mashed ripe avocado, sliced green onions, garlic salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.

1 comment :