Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Recipe - Holiday Snack Mix


Here we are, well into the second week of December already.  If you're like me, you have a long list of things to accomplish every day from now until Christmas and nothing feels better than crossing things off, knowing you're that much closer to being able to relax and enjoy the season.

It's always a challenge thinking of a thoughtful gift for friends and neighbors.  With sugary holiday goodies abounding, it's nice to have some non-sweet options as well.  I'll always remember some neighbors many years ago bringing us a plate of hot homemade Wontons with Sweet and Sour sauce late one evening a few days before Christmas.  What a tasty treat that was!

Because Chex Cereal is on sale at Maceys this week for $1.49/box (when you buy 4), I thought I'd share our family's beloved Snack Mix recipe.  I know what you're thinking--everyone makes Chex Mix, and there are dozens of recipes out there.  In doing a quick Internet search, however, I didn't find one other recipe like mine, which has been in our family for decades.  So even if you have a recipe (such as the one called "Original Chex Mix"--which isn't as good, I promise), I really think you'll enjoy our version.

When I was a missionary in Florida many years ago, my mom made a batch of Snack Mix for me in early December, and while still warm took it to a place in the mall where you could pay to seal gifts inside a gallon can.  So for Christmas that year I opened a large, fresh can of my favorite treat, which I, of course, shared with my companion.  Once she tasted it, however, she couldn't leave it alone, and more than once I had to laugh at her guiltily sneaking a handful from our precious can when she thought I wasn't looking!



Snack Mix
  
In small saucepan, melt 2 sticks butter.  Add the following and stir together well:

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
¾ teaspoon Curry Powder
½ teaspoon McCormick Bon Appetit Seasoning Salt 
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

In a very large bowl, measure:

1 ½ cup salted nuts
3 cups Cheerios
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
3 cups Wheat Chex
3 cups Pretzel Sticks
9 oz bag of Original Fritos  
6 oz. Bag Pepperidge Farm Plain Fish Crackers (not cheddar)

Mix together. Toss well with butter mixture.  Stir the butter and seasonings together well right before spooning over the cereal, adding a little at a time and mixing well as you go to evenly distribute. 

Pour out onto two ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 250 degrees for an hour, removing from oven to stir every 15 minutes.  Do this 3 times in all, taking it out after one hour.

If you don’t have a convection oven, bake on two shelves of your oven, but switch places every 15 minutes for even baking.

Remove from oven and cool right on the cookie sheets.  When cool, store in covered containers.  If you want it to last a few weeks, store somewhere cool like the basement (but not in fridge).

Note:  If you don’t like nuts, or any of the ingredients, just substitute more of any of the other items.

No comments :

Post a Comment