Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Recipe - Slow Cooker Salsa Beef

My Mother's Day gift for all my sisters is a delicious recipe to make one night this week that you can have in the crock pot in five minutes flat.  Not only that, but my Slow Cooker Salsa Beef over rice is perfect for celebrating Cinco de Mayo this Thursday.  Originally my plan for today's post was a much more time-consuming recipe for my version of Shepherd's Pie reminiscent of Cheesecake Factory's, but after taking dozens of photos, tweaking, tasting, and serving it to my family for their approval, I wasn't even hungry anymore.  I thought, do I really want anyone else to labor in the kitchen the week of Mother's Day?  I do not! So I changed course and decided on an easier plan. (Never fear--the Shepherd's Pie will most likely make its appearance at a later date).  You only need six ingredients to make the Salsa Beef:  beef stew meat, a large jar of salsa, canned tomato sauce, fresh garlic, brown sugar, and soy sauce.  Toss everything together into your slow cooker, stir, and turn it on.  Slightly sweet and spicy, it's perfect for a hearty meal anytime--even Sunday dinner.  See easy instructions and photos below.  Feliz dia de la madre!

Slow Cooker Salsa Beef
 Here's all you need . . . .

-2 to 2 1/2 lb beef stew meat (Most of the time I make my own by buying a boneless roast and cutting it up, which is usually quite a bit cheaper per pound, then freeze for later use).
-1 large jar (24 oz) medium chunky salsa
-2 small cans tomato sauce (sorry it only shows one in the photo)
-4 large minced garlic cloves
-1 Tbsp soy sauce
-2 Tbsp brown sugar

for later . . . 
2 more Tbsp brown sugar 
3 level Tbsp cornstarch
1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped

Here's my five minute instructions:  First peel and mince garlic.  I like to use my zester to speed things up. 

Now place the meat in the crock pot.
Dump in the jar of salsa.
Add the 2 Tbsp of brown sugar and 1 Tbsp soy sauce.
Then pour in 2 cans of tomato sauce. . .
. . . and the garlic. 
Stir it all together, put on the lid and turn to high.
After an hour, turn it to low and cook another 5 hours.


In the last 1/2 hour to an hour, mix the remaining 2 Tbsp of brown sugar with 3 level Tbsp of cornstarch. 

Mix well into the beef mixture.  Replace the lid and cook without opening lid until sauce is thickened and you are ready to serve--about 45 minutes or so.
Sprinkle individual servings with chopped cilantro.  This is optional, but really adds great flavor.
Served over rice, this makes enough for about 8 people.  I made a tossed green salad with avocado to complete the meal.

No comments :

Post a Comment