Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Recipe - Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

Each year for my parent's wedding anniversary in October, I try to make them a fancy, multi-course dinner. This started when I was a teenager and just wanted to see if I could pull it off.  After that it became a family tradition, and I had fun trying my hand at cooking "gourmet" (at least to the extent of my definition of the word!)  In my more ambitious days, the dinner usually consisted of an appetizer, soup, salad, main course, and dessert.  The last few years I have scaled back a bit, mostly due to Mom and Dad's increasingly small appetites, but there is one thing I have to make without fail which I think they look forward to more than any other part of the meal--Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder.  I serve them just a small bowl so they can save room for the rest of the dinner, but honestly I think they would be happy with just a big bowl of their all-time favorite soup and a slice of homemade bread.  I got this recipe years ago from Taste of Home Magazine, and is one of the few recipes that I haven't made any adjustments to and follow almost to the letter.  Although it has an unmistakably Mexican flair, the taste is mild enough for kids and seniors alike--even those, like my folks, who don't enjoy very spicy foods.  There's something about this flavorful soup that just hits the spot, especially topped with fresh tomato and cilantro.  Try it for your family one of these cool late-fall evenings.

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

1 ½ lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 Tablespoons butter
2 to 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
1 cup hot water
3 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in the water
½ to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups half and half
2 cups (8 oz) Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 can creamed corn
1 small can chopped green chilies, undrained
¼ to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
Minced fresh Cilantro
(In this photo, I forgot to include the onion--sorry!)  In a Dutch oven or other heavy pot, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is fully cooked; salt and pepper lightly.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.  (Because I don't have a stove during my kitchen remodel, I used my trusty electric skillet and it worked just fine.)
Add the water with dissolved bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Stir in the creamed corn, chilies, and Tabasco Sauce.
Add the Half & Half and simmer a bit until it's well heated through.
Add the shredded cheese and simmer until melted.
Serve right away.  Top individual bowls with chopped tomato and cilantro if desired.  Makes 4 large or 8 small servings.

1 comment :

  1. Jan! I'm so glad you invited me to this blog! I am having the best time searching through your recipes. I made this soup last night and holy cow it was delicious! My whole family loved it. The tomato and cilantro finish off the soup perfectly. Home run! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete